Friday, March 21, 2014

Tiny House Siding is so Ex-Siding!!! (Video Demo)

Siding is the skin of your house

Dark/Light, Rough/Smooth, Speckled/Clear, UV damage/Protectant. 

Just like our skin it's the essence of our character and the foundation for the whole aesthetics of your home. There are so many choices and looks but the basic function is the same, to keep water from getting inside your house. Siding can do other things too, some insulate, some protect against fire, others are sometimes structural!

Let's talk about my siding choices and how I made them. I think in bullet points so in no particular order here are things that come to mind:
  • I got my siding from an overage type lumber yard. My siding was left over extra from a large build. The bundle I bought had enough siding for three tiny houses (actually probable more like 5-6 now that we're almost done) so we split it between two of our other friends also building at the same time. Meg & Dan Stephens and Sara and Joseph over at http://seedswithwings.com/
  • We went with tongue and groove, I think it was just the first nice bundle we found but I'm glad we did. I like the extra structure the siding has over lap siding where the bottom really isn't held down as well.
  • Tongue and groove also has a smoother overall look as there isn't the stepped lap of boards over each other and in a small way my compulsive side likes that smoothness.
  • All three couples made different choices to finish the wood which I love. Meg painted her's, Sara and Joseph are staining their's, and we burned ours. 
Let's get to the fun video of my first pieces of siding going up.




8 comments:

  1. love the posts you have done so far. has helped me out so much, i am doing my build here in southern cali, who was your supplier for your sips? was wondering what did you do to anchor down your sips with the tumbleweed trailer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question Mario, I think I'll do a post in that. The steps are simple and easy. First you layout your bottom plates(2x4's) on the subfloor attaching them with glue, screws, and the attachment rods. Then cut off those attachment rods above the nut. The just slip your sips down over them and BOOM you have a house. 2 days or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the color of your siding! You said you burned it? How did you go about doing that? http://www.burbachexteriors.com/siding-salt-lake-city-utah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Angela,
      We did a post with videos to show the process. We'll be doing another one soon so keep an eye out.

      Delete
  5. This post is great. Thank you for this post. I like this type of people who share knowledge with others.
    House Siding Kearney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I have been working on the house some more and hope to have more content soon!

      Delete
  6. That's a benefit to tiny houses I never considered: you can construct them with scraps leftover from bigger builds. That is some beautiful wood you picked up. I've never heard about burned wood siding until today, but now I'm hooked. It makes the siding look very distinguished, with a rustic character.

    ReplyDelete