Friday, February 28, 2014

Window trim? Yea, I can do that.

Weather and life get in the way of your perfectly planned build and the question everybody asks begins to eat away at you. "When are you gonna be finished?"  My usual responses are: 
Just as soon as I can find the rest of the parts at the city dump. 
When the house is done she'll let me know. 
A house is never finished, the builder just runs out of money and puts speckle over the gaps. 
About 6 months. 

In the mean time I've got some sweet window trim to show you guys. 

Before I put them together:

Before the trim:

After the trim:

Obligatory tiny house selfie:

Fun little piece above my top window:


Window trim tips:
Use a krieg jig or other pocket hole type thing for your trim. Basically you'll be making a picture frame that fits perfect around your window. Then you'll be attaching the whole thing to the window as a solid piece. 

I cut a notch on the backside of my trim so that my siding can fit behind and hide the edges. I think that's pretty cool. 

When you cut your trim, cut as many of the pieces from one or two boards to keep the wood looking the same, unless you're painting it. Then it doesn't matter. 
Here's mine laid out so you can see it. 

The front windows are a bit tricky because some of them are opening and others are fixed. I think that deserves its own post. For now enjoy my guard dog Potato:



3 comments:

  1. I see a problem with your trim. You want your two side pieces of wood to extend all the way down, and not be intersected by that bottom piece. Your trim will hold water when it rains. Wonderful workmanship besides that, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're correct Jason. I did think about doing it the other way but liked the way it looks better than the other. I put a 12 degree slope on all my bottom sills to shed water. Good comment, thanks man. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Applying the trim on each side of that window made it look more durable and appealing. That’s amazing craftsmanship, if I may say so myself. You did a great job on that one, Joe! Thanks for sharing that! Kudos and all the best to you!

    Doug Lowe @ MM Glass Ltd

    ReplyDelete